Saturday, May 17, 2008

I am a Christian

In recent days I have run across several versions of the poem, When I say, "I am a Christian."

Here is the original poem.

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"I'm whispering, "I get lost! That's why I chose this way"
When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't speak with human pride I'm confessing that I stumble-needing God to be my guide
When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong, I'm professing that I'm weak and pray for strength to carry on
When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success,
I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt
When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't think I know it all, I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught
When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect, my flaws are far too visible but God believes I'm worth it
When I say, "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain, I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name
When I say, "I am a Christian," I do not wish to judge, I have no authority--I only know I'm loved. Copyright 1988 Carol Wimmer

Next is the version, incorrectly attributed to Maya Angelou, I posted in a letter sent to friends and family.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean livin'' I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride. I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong. I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.
When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success. I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect, My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain.. I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou, I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!'

Graham Weeks posted it this way and said, "I received this from an Afghan Christian friend who is suffering for his faith."

When I say, "I Am A Christian - A Follower of Jesus Christ" ... I am not screaming that I am HOLY! - I am only whispering that I was lost and now I am found and forgiven.
When I say, "I Am A Christian" ... I am not saying this with pride. I am only confessing that I slip and I am a sinner and I need Christ to guide me.
When I say, "I Am A Christian" ... I am not trying to be strong. I only confess that I am weak and to continue my life I need His Power.
When I say, "I Am A Christian" ... I am not proud of my achievements. I only accept that I have failed and need God to fix my life and my wrong doings.
When I say, "I Am A Christian" ... I am not claiming to be perfect. My weaknesses and failures are obvious, but God values me.
When I say, "I Am A Christian" ... I am not immune to pain and suffering. I have my share of pain and suffering, so I trust in His Name.
When I say, "I Am A Christian" ... I am not saying I am holier than you. I am nothing but a sinner who has received the Grace of God - His forgiveness through Jesus Christ. "

I must say like Graham, I like the last version best and thank God I can say, I am a Christian.

This quote goes well with it.

For whatever reason God chose to make man as he is--limited and suffering and subject to sorrows and death--He had the honesty and courage to take His own medicine. Whatever game He is playing with His creation, He has kept His own rules and played fair. He can exact nothing from man that He has not exacted from Himself. He has Himself gone through the whole of human experience, from the trivial irritations of family life and the cramping restrictions of hard work and lack of money to the worst horrors of pain and humiliation, defeat, despair, and death. When He was a man, He played the man. He was born in poverty and died in disgrace and thought it was well worthwhile.... Dorothy L. Sayers, Christian Letters to a Post- Christian World [1969]

2 comments:

Marmee of Bear Meadow said...

Thanks for posting this. Good thoughts. I hope others can see the beautiful humility in the hearts of Christians. I see it around me all the time.

Marmee of Bear Meadow said...

Wonderful women! I love connection to Gen. Wallace, and the info re petitions. Thanks! I also enjoyed your film list. We love many of the same ones. Hope you post a comment or two on my site.